JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
HimeChan13 (Offline)
Hardly Immaculate

Talking That's What I Call Art - 02-23-2011, 11:15 PM

I am wondering what people are thinking about these days with the kind of things they create and call "art". I understand that some people have a certain style, but I really just can't get into some of it. Abstract art styles being one of the genres I have a hard time understanding. Some of the art is just sooo out there. Then, some of it is just completely random and simple, like a red square on a piece of paper, being sold for thousands of dollars. Um? I could do that when I was two.
My personal preference of art style is realism. It's the kind of art I'm best at making as well as what I like viewing the most. And, I might get killed for this statement, but I don't really like manga art all that much. Some of it is very beautiful, but when it gets too unreal or just plain vulgar, my taste for it disappears. But like I said, that's just my preference.
Tell me about what kind of art you like. I am very interested.

The sound of your voice, painted on my memories. Even if you're not with me, I'm with you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-23-2011, 11:21 PM

an example YouTube - PIKA PIKA in KANAZAWA 2008 Trailer

this is how to create that light art YouTube - 結婚式余興PiKAPiKAピカピカ

another example YouTube - sand art - russian love

japanese traditional one YouTube - Full Body Tattoos

Last edited by MMM : 02-23-2011 at 11:28 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-23-2011, 11:29 PM

street style YouTube - japanese graffiti Rackgaki clip

h.r. gigger he's been my hero from my childhood YouTube - H.R. GIGER

illumination YouTube - 相模湖イルミネーション2011.wmv

illumination2 YouTube - 2009 東京ミッドタウン クリスマスイルミネーション スターライトガーデン

fountain YouTube - The Dubai Fountain - Time To Say Goodbye

crystal juggling YouTube - Audi quattro Night水晶玉ジャグリング パフォーマーMASAKI

fluorescent painting ( that lasts 10minutes ) YouTube - 光り絵

oh no. It seems like I'm the only one who posts here. I wanna see something inspiring offered by others.

Last edited by MMM : 02-24-2011 at 09:14 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
02-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Not really, you forgot about the OP .

Art has alot of forms, painting, sculpting, cooking (yep, cooking can be an art making experience), audible forms of art (operas, theater plays, movies). I like alot of the art forms, but I'm most attracted to Operas, paintings on any support (glass, paper, wood and many more) and carvings.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
Not really, you forgot about the OP .

Art has alot of forms, painting, sculpting, cooking (yep, cooking can be an art making experience), audible forms of art (operas, theater plays, movies). I like alot of the art forms, but I'm most attracted to Operas, paintings on any support (glass, paper, wood and many more) and carvings.

You're absolutely right. Our everyday life is surrounded by tons of art.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

02-24-2011, 01:33 PM

I'm actually a paid photographer here in Japan now (woohoo!), so I've been spending some time lately at art galleries and location scouting for inspiration. One of the things that I've had the opportunity to do through this is to talk to people who know a lot about the subject, and they're really helping me to broaden my senses of art far beyond what I thought before.

For example, I went to a gallery in Ebisu that focused on "snapshots" or photos done in film in the early 20th century. At first, I appreciated the photos but I didn't really understand the concept. A lot of the shots were something I have confidence that I could do just as well. But then my friend explained to me that even though we could emulate these photos ourselves, what makes them so special is that they were done in a time when there were no DSLRs, no photoshop. Just a simple film camera and a photographer who was able to compose photos with what he had at the time. And that's what made them art.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#7 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
02-24-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimeChan13 View Post
Then, some of it is just completely random and simple, like a red square on a piece of paper, being sold for thousands of dollars. Um? I could do that when I was two.
But you DIDN'T do it when you were two.
Art isn't always about spending years on a painting, getting every detail right, perfecting techniques, etc. Art can just as easily be about the idea rather than the visual complexity. Simplistic art doesn't mean it was simple to think of or even simple to create.

A red square may not look like much of you, but hey - you didn't think to do it, so there's not much you can say.

As an art major, I enjoy all types of art. I can see the appeal in just about everything when it comes to viewing it. There are some kinds of art that I can't see the appeal in creating, however (ex. cardboard sculptures.....DISLIKE THIS MEDIUM SO MUCH).
(#8 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-24-2011, 09:05 PM

(: From my favorite Mark Rothko, the 'Red on Maroon' . I don't know the prize, but it probably costs more than a few thousands x)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rothko_RedOnMaroon.jpg (24.0 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by File0 : 02-24-2011 at 09:08 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-25-2011, 11:40 PM

sugar syrup figure YouTube - Sugar Syrup Sculpture, Qingdao

Latte art YouTube - ラテアート5

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life

Last edited by tipsygypsy : 02-25-2011 at 11:42 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
drejification (Offline)
New to JF

03-01-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimeChan13 View Post
Some of the art is just sooo out there. Then, some of it is just completely random and simple, like a red square on a piece of paper, being sold for thousands of dollars. Um? I could do that when I was two.
As a student of Art History who's had several seminars on this kind of art, let me tell you: It's a load of crap. When you take the whole history of art into consideration, they are important and groundbreaking pieces. But that still doesn't change the fact that they are in fact things anyone could accomplish. All that defines the price of such an artwork is the name of the artist.

Sad, I know.