JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Parenting in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/)
-   -   I'm only 18 but I'm already worrying about parenting... Will I be a good mother? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/18126-im-only-18-but-im-already-worrying-about-parenting-will-i-good-mother.html)

Eidrib 08-10-2008 10:01 AM

I'm only 18 but I'm already worrying about parenting... Will I be a good mother?

This message has been deleted.

Henbaka 08-10-2008 10:10 AM

If you're a good person I don't think you will fail as a parent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidrib (Post 558840)
and even kill you, like it happens a lot in Japan

Oh come on...

PS. Wrong forum?

Hellkite 08-10-2008 10:11 AM

Hello! I see your problem! My name is reza, i am 16. I already dream now of having a wonderful family with children. Look. You must spend time with your kids. So, you should quit your job, if you do one. Your job is then being a housewife. You shall always listen to your kids, and talk with them a lot. And care for them, when they are ill. And your husband will help you anyway. In a marriage you spend all time together, and part your jobs at home. So, you will both care for your kids. And if this makes you happy, to be married and to have children and to do housework for your family, if this really makes you happy, you will be a perfect mother and wife. Trust me! :)

Eidrib 08-10-2008 10:14 AM

Hellkite 08-10-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidrib (Post 558849)
Thanks for your warmhearted reply... but in Japan, once you quit a job, it's extremely difficult to get another one. If something happens to my hubby (in hospital, die of illness or accident) I must be able to support our children financially and I can't do this without continuing my job. So there we go, that's another one in my list of problems... I'm so confused.

Ok. Look. At first, your husband should look for another job, if his one is dangerous! And then you should quit your job. And believe me, it is best so. here it is the same, hard to get a good job, if you quitted yours, but not impossible, and believe me, you wont need one. Your children and your housework are your job now. And why should your husband not earn enough money? My mother did not give up her job when i was born, she continued. And when i was born, she did not keep me, she put me for 2 weeks in such a box, with all the other babies. And my father stayed at home for me 3 years then. And thats why i will never have such a strong connection to her. So, do not do this mistake, and also keep your baby by your side, if it is born. My mother did not do this, because she needed her sleep she said. Wrong!!! So, listen. If you wanna know more about how everything evolved in my family, feel free to ask. I will tell you. No problem. :)

masaegu 08-10-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidrib (Post 558840)

I'm so lost because if you scold children they will hate you (and even kill you, like it happens a lot in Japan) and if you let them play they will become spoiled...

Huh? Do show us your source.

Paul11 08-10-2008 10:46 AM

All parents make mistakes, even when they love thier children more than life itself. It's still about survival. How do you measure success? You put all your eggs in one basket and trust in God.

Hellkite 08-10-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 558862)
All parents make mistakes, even when they love thier children more than life itself. It's still about survival. How do you measure success? You put all your eggs in one basket and trust in God.

You are right. No one is perfect. But you could try with effort to be a good mother! And you will see, if you really love your children, you would also sacrifice yourself for them. Thats actually the parents duty, to love their children so much, and not just a duty, they shall enjoy loving their kids soo much! You must love children, then you will be the best mother ever! :D

Henbaka 08-10-2008 10:53 AM

Look. Basically I believe the "bad" parents wouldn't (didn't) worry about being a good parent so much.

Hellkite 08-10-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henbaka (Post 558869)
Look. Basically I believe the "bad" parents wouldn't (didn't) worry about being a good parent so much.

hm...? yes. maybe. but she has the right to worry. thats why i help her a lot. having a family with children is the best thing in world!! what do you want more than a healthy family, you can care for? :D
and her mother feelings will anyway evolve time by time. :D

Paul11 08-10-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellkite (Post 558865)
You are right. No one is perfect. But you could try with effort to be a good mother! And you will see, if you really love your children, you would also sacrifice yourself for them. Thats actually the parents duty, to love their children so much, and not just a duty, they shall enjoy loving their kids soo much! You must love children, then you will be the best mother ever! :D

That was a wierd message. Kinda creepy. Try not loving soooooo much, eh!

Hellkite 08-10-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 558876)
That was a wierd message. Kinda creepy. Try not loving soooooo much, eh!

Erm? Why not? This is natural to sacrife yourself for your children, f really necessary. :)

Paul11 08-10-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellkite (Post 558881)
Erm? Why not? This is natural to sacrife yourself for your children, f really necessary. :)

I completely agree with you and do just that for my family. I was teasing you a bit.

Hellkite 08-10-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 558882)
I completely agree with you and do just that for my family. I was teasing you a bit.

Oh, lol. Ok. Hahaha. i see. I mean, who would not do that? I would do so for sure, if i would have my own family. :)

Hackimoto 08-10-2008 11:25 AM

You can be as hard as you want on the kids(to a point of course), it won't hurt them. As long as you think of them before yourself and don't allow your emotions to control your actions. Parenting is pretty hard, but the trick is just to try and see things from their point of view sometimes. My son is a very terrible child, but a lot of it is just because he doesn't get out of the house enough and do fun things so he doesn't have enough incentive to behave. You just have to remember that kids are just little tiny people. They have the same feelings you do. You may have to be stern to get them to do the right things, and they may get mad at you a lot but they'll get over it(sometimes within the next few minutes). And the most imortant thing is to not be afraid to ask for help. Your parents raised you(right?) so they should know a thing or two. Another thing is they will probably take after you, so the better you know yourself the better you can figure out how to deal with your kids.(sort of like when they say 'know yourself, not your enemy' or some Art of War kind of stuff)

Eidrib 08-10-2008 12:30 PM

Hellkite 08-10-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidrib (Post 558907)
I live in Japan and there are news reports of children killing their parents almost every month, and the cause is always due to children thinking that their parents are being too hard on them. I'm not exaggerating. (e.g. ”最近の子供が親を殺したというニュースでは...” fro m http://aurasoul.mb2.jp/_nws/k118.html) I myself almost killed my mom even when she loved me because she was so strict and didn't let me argue against her and I hated her. Is that enough evidence?

Ok. Look. Thats useless. Stuff. You will not be like her. You will be a grat mother, believe me that! Just follow some advice i gave you. And your motherfeelings will evolve time by time. :D
You must be strict for sure, but you will see after a short time, how strict you shall be, that your children just learn respect, and that you do not torture them. You will find out many things, after your kids are born, trust me. Because you have a special connection to your children then, both of you will feel. :)

Paul11 08-10-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellkite (Post 558908)
Ok. Look. Thats useless. Stuff. You will not be like her. You will be a grat mother, believe me that! Just follow some advice i gave you. And your motherfeelings will evolve time by time. :D
You must be strict for sure, but you will see after a short time, how strict you shall be, that your children just learn respect, and that you do not torture them. You will find out many things, after your kids are born, trust me. Because you have a special connection to your children then, both of you will feel. :)

You've never raised children. it's not as simple as you make it sound. A simple dose of love doesn't just fix everything.

Hellkite 08-10-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 558910)
You've never raised children. it's not as simple as you make it sound. A simple dose of love doesn't just fix everything.

I know! But i have seen so many mistakes my parents have done, and so many good things some other families do. thats why i know some things about raising children, and by the way, i also want children once. :D

Salvanas 08-10-2008 01:04 PM

This is rather odd.

- A sixteen year old giving an eighteen year old advice about parenting.
- A sixteen year old and Eighteen year old thinking about marrying the current person they are with and also thinking about parenthood.
- Apparently, children only kill their mothers in Japan.

Here's some of my advice, coming from a seventeen year old boy. Take it how you want to.

1: You both have a long way to grow up before you become parents or get married. You should finish the more important things in life before starting a family. Like fully becoming an adult. It's abit early.

2: A sixteen year old cannot give proper advice on being a mother.

3: Children killing their parents happen everywhere. Not just in Japan.

Now for the advice.

I'm not a father, nor am I a mother. And I don't plan to be one until I'm in my late twenties. But the key to being a good mother or father is this: .

Saw nothing there? That's because there is no special way on how to be a good parent. It's not a strategy game, nor is there some special cheat that'll tell you how to do it.

Being a parent isn't easy. You have to weigh your beliefs against your partner, and come to an agreement between you two. Then you have to be attuned to your childs needs.

IT all depends on you. Your personality. Your appearance. Your beliefs.

Now stop worrying about such things at that age and live your life.

Paul11 08-10-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvanas (Post 558921)
This is rather odd.

- A sixteen year old and Eighteen year old thinking about marrying the current person they are with and also thinking about parenthood.

Here's some of my advice, coming from a seventeen year old boy. Take it how you want to.

1: You both have a long way to grow up before you become parents or get married. You should finish the more important things in life before starting a family. Like fully becoming an adult. It's abit early.

Now for the advice.

I'm not a father, nor am I a mother. And I don't plan to be one until I'm in my late twenties. But the key to being a good mother or father is this: .

Saw nothing there? That's because there is no special way on how to be a good parent. It's not a strategy game, nor is there some special cheat that'll tell you how to do it.

Being a parent isn't easy. You have to weigh your beliefs against your partner, and come to an agreement between you two. Then you have to be attuned to your childs needs.

Very mature for a 17 year-old.

Eidrib 08-10-2008 01:15 PM

Paul11 08-10-2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidrib (Post 558930)
. . . I'll have to agree. I know it's difficult, and I know it's way too early to worry about it, but I still can't stop worrying about it. Maybe I'm just mentally ill.

Get some help if you think so.

Salvanas 08-10-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 558924)
Very mature for a 17 year-old.

Thank you.

It's not a mental illness. It's normal to worry. But try not to. One thing I can say is try to be yourself. Do what you think is right. If you don't give your child the impression that you know what's right and wrong, then they'll just be confused. Tell them what you think that's right, but give them the room to think for themselves.

Apart from that, there's nothing that's set on how to be a good parent. It all depends on what you think. So just relax :)

Eidrib 08-10-2008 02:54 PM

Henbaka 08-10-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvanas (Post 558921)
This is rather odd.

Now for the advice.

/signed :) But damn, late twenties? I don't think I'll be a parent that early :)

Tyrien 08-10-2008 06:12 PM

Without reading everything I can assume two things. Yes, you will be a good mother, but you're also going to be the type of mother that if one thing goes wrong you'll blame yourself, act like it's the end of the world and proclaim yourself as a horrible mother.

BUT

If you can get past that and realize that bad stuff happens then you'll probably be a great mother.

yuujirou 08-10-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11 (Post 558862)

Silly Paul, In God we trust only that he will send us too hell for disbelieving in him. In BUDDHA, however, we "should" entrust our successes too him. x]

Salvanas 08-10-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henbaka (Post 559043)
/signed :) But damn, late twenties? I don't think I'll be a parent that early :)

IT might be later, but I want to still be young while growing up with my children really. I don't want to be TOO old.

rina26 08-11-2008 12:02 AM

This thread is just too weird. It's creeping me out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henbaka (Post 558869)

Hey, I'm not worried about good parenting and I know I'll be a damn great parent ;) 26 more weeks to go!

Jaydelart 08-11-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuujirou (Post 559049)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul11

Silly Paul, In God we trust only that he will send us too hell for disbelieving in him. In BUDDHA, however, we "should" entrust our successes too him. x]

At least, yuujirou, it is an expression.

I realize you're only poking fun...
But, whether you believe in God or not is partially irrelevant to the concept that is being expressed.

EveV 08-11-2008 12:48 AM

Children are pretty interesting little things.
I think the best way to take care of your child is to not forget about being one.

1.When your kid falls off their bike.
As long as their not dying don't rush over and comfort them, walk over calmly help them up and say " lol you're okay"

2.Don't give them to much juice, juice is like crack for toddlers and it completely ruins their teeth.
Make them get addicted to healthy stuff like fruit, veggies and water.

3.Don't hit your kid to hard.
Time outs and loud voices do the job just fine.
I know as toddlers they'll need an occasionally pat on the butt.
But don't keep hitting them like that after they turn seven.
It could lead to a violent resentful adult.

4.Stay calm.
Even when the world is ending just stay calm around them.

5.Between 12-14 they'll go through a horrible phase.
They'll hate you.
But the best way to turn that over is to talk with them about your life experiences.
be their best friend.
let them know you're there.
My dad made me so comfortable about talking about serious stuff with him that I wasn't even afraid to talk about how horrible that first sexual experiences that he warned me about was.

6.Let them go.
You learn from experiences.
Let them experience.

7.Rap and rock is not going to ruin their heads. -_-

8.Let them be themselves.
Not your doll.

9.Teach them about hygiene and keeping clean at an early age.

10.School is always first. Show them what education is about. Make them used to getting good grades.

11. Don't spoil. They can't get that cell phone until they up them grades and help around the house for a month.

You'll fuck up along the way. Every parent does.
But in the end if you really did try. If you showed them the world.
Taught them peace. Gave them experience. Allowed them to be themselves.
Showed unconditional understanding and love while still being stern
Everything.. well be alright.
Good luck.

sweety 08-11-2008 12:51 AM

If you want to be a good mom you need to live your life first. How do you know that in 10-20 years from now you will still have anything in common with your boyfriend? Take these years to enjoy your youth. I know you think that you are grown but you still have alot of growing to do.

Koir 08-11-2008 12:52 AM

You sound like you'll be a wonderful mother, EveV :)

EveV 08-11-2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koir (Post 559200)
You sound like you'll be a wonderful mother, EveV :)

I am a wonderful mother.

To my cats. <<

Mika13 08-11-2008 01:01 AM

You'll know what to do when the time comes. I'm 23, and I plan on raising my kids on the same stuff I grew up on. I'm not gonna be all bung-ho about everything, but I will empose rules and make sure they follow them. The trick is to be someone they know still has the power, but to also be someone they can come to for help. If your really ready, then you'll know what to do.

Koir 08-11-2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EveV (Post 559206)
I am a wonderful mother.

To my cats. <<

Bahahaha...

*rimshot*

joker8880231 08-11-2008 01:35 AM

If I were you I wouldnt worry about having kids for a few more years.

rina26 08-11-2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joker8880231 (Post 559229)
If I were you I wouldnt worry about having kids for a few more years.

IMO if she's so worried about being murdered by her own kids, she shouldn't worry about having kids ever.

Paul11 08-11-2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuujirou (Post 559049)

God here is used loosely. I didn't specify a denomination. choose any meaning that satisfies the noun of the sentance.:)

I'm already old and raising one, so some of this stuff sounds pretty silly. You just try to instill your ethics, morals and take it as it comes.

But the young man who said he doesn't want to be too old before having children has a point. I'm 37 and my daughter is almost four. If I had done this earlier I might have more energy to chase her around.