JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Define sexism. - 08-13-2009, 04:16 PM

I was looking at the rules in the General Discussion, and I see that it says "no sexism." Ideas of what's sexist differ in culture to culture. For example, some might not think it's sexist to say, "women belong in the kitchen," while to others that's extremely offensive. Since this is an international forum, I think it's important to define what sexism is in the rules.

Also, a question if anyone's willing to answer - why is it against the rules to discuss sexual orientation?

LOVE: pass it on
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
I was looking at the rules in the General Discussion, and I see that it says "no sexism." Ideas of what's sexist differ in culture to culture. For example, some might not think it's sexist to say, "women belong in the kitchen," while to others that's extremely offensive. Since this is an international forum, I think it's important to define what sexism is in the rules.
If there are flames and insults being hurled based on someone`s gender, it is sexism. If it is an honest cultural difference, the person making the problematic remarks should be able to comprehend that they are offensive to some and avoid talking that way. (They will be pmed about the content.)

Quote:
Also, a question if anyone's willing to answer - why is it against the rules to discuss sexual orientation?
Because religious discussion is against the rules. There has NEVER been a discussion of sexual orientation which has not come to discussions of morality, then religion, then flaming of a religious nature. It is not a discussion that can stay within the bounds. It ALWAYS turns into a flaming hurtful debate.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If there are flames and insults being hurled based on someone`s gender, it is sexism. If it is an honest cultural difference, the person making the problematic remarks should be able to comprehend that they are offensive to some and avoid talking that way. (They will be pmed about the content.)

Because religious discussion is against the rules. There has NEVER been a discussion of sexual orientation which has not come to discussions of morality, then religion, then flaming of a religious nature. It is not a discussion that can stay within the bounds. It ALWAYS turns into a flaming hurtful debate.
Okay, that's fair. Thanks.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

08-13-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Like everything in life (or just about everything), sexism has no true definition, because it can mean whatever you want it to mean. It's impossible to come up with a true definition.

The closest you can get to it is a definition that others will take as true, but there will still be people who disagree with your definition, and believe their own to be true.

Or, it could mean something else in a different language. I'm pretty sure that there's a number of words we use that have a different meaning in another language.

Last edited by DSX : 08-13-2009 at 04:39 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX View Post
Like everything in life (or just about everything), sexism has no true definition, because it can mean whatever you want it to mean. It's impossible to come up with a true definition.

The closest you can get to it is a definition that others will take as true, but there will still be people who disagree with your definition, and believe their own to be true.

Or, it could mean something else in a different language. I'm pretty sure that there's a number of words we use that have a different meaning in another language.
That's definitely true, but even so, it can't be left up in the air for everyone to have their own personal definitions. There needs to be some kind of guideline - written and seen. People can and will disagree, and from there the guideline can change based on others' opinions, but there still needs to be something.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

08-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
That's definitely true, but even so, it can't be left up in the air for everyone to have their own personal definitions. There needs to be some kind of guideline - written and seen. People can and will disagree, and from there the guideline can change based on others' opinions, but there still needs to be something.
And I agree with that. Someone can create a word, but it'll still lose meaning eventually. It pretty much goes in a circle.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
08-14-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:

Jesus...bring me a sammich women

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

08-14-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
Jesus...bring me a sammich women
and that there is a good example/answer.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
08-14-2009, 01:38 AM

How about defining the following words?

flaming
racism
sexism
offending others

Heck someone might take 'offending' as 'complimenting' based on their culture, right, RIGHT?

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
08-14-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
How about defining the following words?

flaming
racism
sexism
offending others

Heck someone might take 'offending' as 'complimenting' based on their culture, right, RIGHT?
Right

I take being called an asshole or a dick as a compliment depending on who is saying it..no joke ^_^

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you