(#10 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
07-04-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotenmemory View Post
I'm scared about maving to japan because of the rascism and I don't really like the sexism eitHER!

Sexism is pretty non-existant out here... I think the 'tales' about sexism in Japan are just stories from 50 years ago which are being circulated by people who have never even visited this country

Racism isn't really a problem unless you let it be... sure, people will generally avoid sitting next to you on a train or bus, but that is their loss. Japanese people are, for the most part, EXTREMELY friendly and helpful (so, if they are racist, they hide it very well!). I have yet to encounter ANY form of racism from the younger generation (ie, people under 30) and most of them will speak to you just want to try out their English which might be getting a little rusty since high school.

One thing I WILL say is to learn the language... you don't have to be fluent, but get some good stock phrases learnt - it will amaze you how far a little effort on your part will go over here. Perhaps most westeners don't bother to learn, but whenever I talk to people in Japanese they seem really appreciative that I have made the effort