View Single Post
(#30 (permalink))
Old
SaginumaEki (Offline)
JF Regular

08-16-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoreZyra View Post
2 months in Japan hardly qualifies as an expert observation... Plus, you were around the big cities... you haven't ventured out of the safety of Tokyo... Japanese are typically benevolent towards kids. You wouldn't typically experience any harsh lashes direct toward you...

I've traveled all over Japan. From Okinawa to Fukuoka, Kobe, Osaka, and Kyoto. And all around Tokyo. I've been to Sapporo in beautiful Hokkaido.
Granted I haven't lived there for more than a month at a time, I've seen all types of Japanese people over the years. I've traveled through the rural townes of Hyogogen -- between Kyoto and Osaka.
Many are very surprised to find an American "tourist" that understands Japanese. No matter how long you've been there, they will always comment on your language skills. Initially, it's nice... and then it starts to get annoying. Makes you feel like a baby that did something neat.

Tell me your "life" experiences in Japan when you have _lived_ there for over five years...
I never said it was a "life" experience. It was just my experience in Japan. I don't understand why you mentioned people saying your Japanese was good. Was that directed at me or everyone in general? I got that from my host family all the time. And everyone in my home room cheered when I could introduced myself. It might be annoying, but I see it as them encouraging you to keep on learning. But whatever.

If you want to know details. I was down in the Kansai area for a few weeks too. My host family took me to Kamakura and random little towns outside of the Kanagawa. I went to summer camp with my host brother somewhere really south-west. I forget the name. Basically small towns where people would touch my hair and say "sugoi." I know that I only lived there for two months, but I'm just saying, I didn't have any problems.

Plus, most of the people here are of highschool or college age, and they're all worried about going to Japan for some reason or other. Why shouldn't I tell them what I experienced if that's basically what they're going to do? I doubt most highschool students want to go to very rural places. Speaking of which, one of my friends did another exchange program and he was placed in Hokkaido. He lived in a farming community. He's of Indian descent (From India, not Native American). He didn't have any problems. Another kid I know was Puerto Rican and another one was Caucasian. They lived in rural communities for about 2 months also. Again, they didn't really have any problems. Maybe it's because we're kids. But whatever. No need to flame.