View Single Post
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-04-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyafriend View Post
My, did you meant you had only been studying Japanese for 8 months or so?
What about your pre-U days. How long have you been doing Japanese then?
Or did you entirely did it in just 8 months?

I must say, with your current grasp of Japanese understanding, you would put many people who had been doing it for 2 or 3 or even 4 years to shame.
I'm sure you had been studying very hard. Well done.
Thank you for your encouragement. You're right, I do put a lot of time into learning Japanese.

Pre uni? I did Japanese for 2 years in year 9 and 10 (I was 13 and 14) in high school so it's been a while. Upon beginning uni I only remembered Hiragana and Katakana (which were covered in the first month anyway) and a few words I'd picked up in mainstream culture. I got a couple of months head start I suppose.

What's helped me a LOT though is that I also meet with a language buddy on a regular basis. At least once a week but usually twice or three times a week. She's from Japan and wants to improve her English also, so we'll go to a cafe and have a chat, taking turns in English and Japanese at alternate meetings.

I also used to make these journals off line every night and read them out loud to myself, however since discovering this site I've decided it would be cool to open them up to feedback and advice.

Thanks again for your encouragement.