View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-07-2007, 05:42 AM

More of the wonders of Japanese schools...

I'll start with about where I left off, the third grade of junior high. In January/early February most junior high schoolers will be taking their high school entrance exams. You see, unlike in the states not everyone goes on to high school. Students are tested in five subjects, Japanese, English, Math, Social Studies, and Science. The score from each section of the test is combined to make one test grade. Which means that if you where good in everything except English, your score is an automatic eighty. I have no problem telling you I don't like this testing system. As I have explained to many Japanese, it doesn't reward students for their strengths but rather penalizes for their weaknesses. Look at the way US universities admit students, they look at your aptitude (SAT, you're ability to solve problems) and then you have tests like the ACT which scores separately for math, science, history and English (I think, it has been a long time).

Here is another problem I have with the general Japanese education system. Students pass from one grade to another regardless of mastering their studies at that level. There is no such thing as a failed student in Japan. If this kid doesn't master first year English, he just goes on to second year where he really can't do anything. The pace and level of study in Japanese schools basically weeds out the weak. This is not so much about educating as it is about trying to work you to death and seeing how many survive. This creates a lot of problems in the classroom. You have the kids who absolutely do not care because they are so far behind, effort is seemingly pointless. So you end up with half the class either not putting any effort into their work or some that just copy others and go through the motions.

Out of an English class of thirty students, I have on average 5 that demonstrate an ability equal to or surpassing where they are in the textbook. After that there is maybe 10 who are just below that level. Then another 10 who are a bit behind but when coached individually can make up the gap to the other 10. Then 5 who are still unable to distinguish the letters of the alphabet.

Japan's answer to this, a recent proposal to add more hours to the school week. Also, even though the amount they receive is more than US students, there will be less time for art and music lessons.

For more wonders of Japanese kids school life, browse the Teaching in the JP thread and check out some ALT blogs like gaijzilla.com