View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Fullmoon (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Fullmoon Send a message via MSN to Fullmoon Send a message via Yahoo to Fullmoon
02-17-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
In my school, the counselor handles such requests. Most legitimate programs make sure that your credit requirements are handled correctly.

If you don't mind, I'd like to recommend some other programs.

- YFU - Known for specializing in Japan and Germany trips. Offers summer, semester, and year. Many full and partial scholarships are given out to pay for the trip. I'm going with this program this summer.
- AFS - Much like YFU, but not specialized. However, they do offer the same program lengths above and can be payed by scholarship or through fundraising.
- Rotary Exchange - I don't know much about this program, but it's very popular and many foreign exchange students go through it every year. I haven't heard any bad about it. However, if you go on a year, they do switch your host families around a few times from what I've heard.
- ASSE - I haven't heard much about this program to be honest

A google search of the abbreviations should return results on each program

Money may or not be the problem here. I had a job last year, and I'm using my money that was left in the bank from it to pay for my trip. I got a partial scholarship, which only requires me to pay $2,000.00. I think the hardest part about going on exchange isn't the money but getting your parent's permission. It took me a good 2 months to get a %100 yes.

Also, one last tip. Registration for going this year is too late. However, registration for next year's programs (2009 summer, semester, and '09-'10 year) have not even started. It would be to your best interests to have everything laid out by this August. Registration usually starts in September and most year programs stop accepting applications late October.
Well I spoke with my mom about it and she seems okay with it, but my parents can't help me pay for it, and she doesn't want me to ask my grandma because she's going to help me with college. ((I wasn't planning on checking with grandma though, I'm trying to earn it on my own)). Those all sound like good programs as well. I'm pretty much set on the all girls high school in Osaka though. ^^;; And yeah, I had a feeling it would be too late to register this year. But I'm still a freshman, I want to do this senior year, so I need to go for the '10-'11 year. Do you think it would be possible to try to get a scholorship for that school? If so, what would be a good way to go about trying to get one? Any method that could make the cost a little cheaper would be loved. ^^ But yeah, on the earlier subject of parents, my mom thinks its kind of a pipe dream and that I would miss not spending senior year at my high school, but right now she's like "You can try to get the money for it if you'd like to" and whatnot because she knows that it's something I really want to do. Plus, she knows that I'd be safe over there because of the low crime rate and her bosses son lived in Japan for a while and has also told her about how safe it is there and whatnot.
Thank you for your help.

Plushies and Sketchbooks and Cakes, Oh My!