View Single Post
(#52 (permalink))
Old
annelie82 (Offline)
Zzzz...zzz.....zz...

02-10-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
It can, and does. I explained how earlier in this thread.
I agree with lady_kyoko. A doll can never replace a real person. It cannot agree with you. It cannot disagree with you. It can never respond in kind to or show gratitude for any tokens of affection that you bestow on it. It would be a completely passive, one-way relationship. Any qualities or characteristics attributed to the doll, such as food and music preferences or political views, would have to be thought up and expressed by its owner. A doll can never provide the intellectual stimulation offered by a human being.

But the interesting thing about these guys isn't so much the fact that they've chosen dolls as life partners as the reason why they've made this choice. Some experience in their upbringing or dating history has obviosuly traumatized them to the point that they are incapable of trusting other people, which in turn has given them a compulsive, all-consuming need to control others in order to avoid a repeat of the original trauma. Since dolls for obvious reasons are easier to control than real people, it's no wonder these guys have chosen the 'safe' option of dating dolls.

And therein lies the problem, I suppose. By dating dolls these guys are not dealing with their trust issues, they're escaping from them. Going on a date with a doll is obviously a lot less confrontational and unpredictable than going on a date with a real person, since you're in control of the 'conversation' and won't have to worry about your date disagreeing with you on anything.

Personally I think these guys would be better off spending $2000 on therapy rather than on dolls. Once they've sorted through their issues, if they still feel that dating dolls is preferable to dating real people, then why not? At least then they will have made such a decision with the proper frame of mind, and without their need to control people influencing their reasoning.

~annelie

"It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." -from the film Coach Carter