View Single Post
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-07-2008, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veespin View Post
But see in your sentence it just has romanized lettering, not romanized Japanese, so I'm trying to figure out which one you mean.
Read what I read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

I don't think I tried to claim that Japanese words romanized using the alphabet was common, but you see names of train stations, as well as shop names often in romaji. This isn't uncommon on menus, too.

I don't feel like repeating myself, and I am not sure why you are focusing on a very small point that has little to do with the discussion. I said Romaji appears often and is mixed in with hiragana, katakana and kanji often. I didn't say "romanized Japanese", though it does appear in certain situations I already talked about.

The whole point is that misleading information was giving saying these four writing systems are used independently of each other, and that simply isn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veespin View Post

And saying that kanji is not originally Japanese because I said that romaji is not is just a slippery slope my friend.
Is it really? I am curious how much further that slippery slope can go.

Anyway, I am not so shallow a person as to say "kanji isn't from Japan" BECAUSE you said the alphabet isn't. I pointed that out because kanji certainly is used in conjunction with hiragana and katakana, even though it isn't originally Japanese, so saying something that isn't originally Japanese can't be used in conjunction with hiragana and katakana isn't a solid argument.