View Single Post
(#113 (permalink))
Old
Shinshiro (Offline)
New to JF

07-01-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Fair skin has been a sign of beauty in Japan long before white people even set foot there.

I have never heard someone compare India's caste system as parallel to Japan's desire for pale skin (which is hardly universal).

Unlike in India, Japanese people basically all have the same tone of skin (you do not see Japanese people with naturally black skin).

Do you really think being demure and frail is en vogue? Japanese women are acting more powerful than ever now, and for every pale and skinny starlet there is a tanned and outspoken one.

I always thought the white skin obsession had to do with the 欧米complex Japanese people seem to foster. And my point on India was based on what I heard from my Middle Eastern friend, so I guess I had no right to refer to that when I don’t actually know much about the situation there.
However I do stand by my comment on demure and frail women being an ideal in Japan. I appreciate you pointing out that strong women in Japan are growing in numbers, however I still think that acting “weak” so to speak gets you a long way if you’re a girl in Japan. In a male dominated environment anyway. Perhaps I am being pessimistic about the sexual discrimination situation in Japan.