View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-02-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
For learning Japanese properly then yeah, katakana is pretty limited in it's usefulness. But in terms of what you'll get out of it versus how much time you need to spend learning it for your average tourist, katana comes out on top. I had been studying Japanese for a year when I went to Japan (part time and somewhat half-heartedly, admittedly) and couldn't read much more than a basic sentence in hiragana and kanji.

But for the most part I didn't need to - what I needed was to be able to tell if I was really buying a carton of milk (miruku!) or some chewing gum (gaamu!). I could have spent that time learning kanji right from the basics, but given my limited vocabulary and grammar knowledge it anything other than say, numbers or the kind of characters that come up in signs would have been utterly useless. If you're aiming to read a newspaper then yeah, katakana makes up a tiny portion of that. But if you just want to get by as a tourist for a few weeks and don't want to dedicate years to studying Japanese beforehand, then I still think katakana is a really good way to start. It's like how phrasebooks are useless for learning a language properly, but nice to use to get by in a country as a tourist.

I think once you get the trick to interpreting katakana it's pretty easy I find it helps to sound it out loud a few times, even though I probably look like an idiot. It helps if you already have a vague idea of the context - like when my friend was asked me if the bottle he was holding was chewing gum, I couldn't understand 99% of the label but could recognise the katakana for 'gamu', and it looked like a gum container so it all added up.

Oh! But I do recommend learning the kanji for different types of meat, especially if you can't eat a particular kind for some reason. I didn't know any at the time so we had a lot of mystery meat riceballs, some of which turned out to not contain any meat at all
Ok, so I agree that if thats the phrase that you are looking for then sure, but keep in mind that not all phrases can are as easy as "GAMU", in which case, if someone with limited experieince with the language, really can't relate GAMU to GUM

Actually, i was just thinking, isn't that funny? Gum is a almost a rubber base product, while its GAMU, rubber is GOMU in Japanese

Yeah, you really do want to know the Kanji for different kind of meat:

Beef - 牛
Pork - 豚
Lamb - ラム (YES, Kitakana)
Chicken - 鶏
Octopus - 蛸、章魚

I think this should wrap up the common list.. others, feel free to add to this list to help mishasu out