View Single Post
(#193 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-07-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`ll have to get back to you on that one if I ever encounter a real Japanese woman who expresses that sentiment. (In contrast to foreign woman in Japan, wanting to raise a battle cry for her poor Japanese sisters that she thinks are so oppressed because they don`t want to sacrifice home life for a career. They`re a dime a dozen.)

The sentiment I DO hear a lot (before marriage) is that they wish their bosses wouldn`t put so much responsibility on their shoulders - I mean, everyone knows we plan to quit in a few years anyway. We seriously don`t want to have to deal with a guilt trip when they can`t find somebody with the qualifications to replace us.
And after marriage, that they wish they had never accepted that promotion because it means they couldn`t take off whenever they wanted to go on trips with their mom, sisters, friends, etc... Or that they REALLY wish their husband made enough money that they could stay home.

I have yet to hear a single complaint about the glass ceiling. Most women see that as a "US" term.
Since I'm no american, I can't really say how it is there.

I guess my question was more hypothetic, since you said before the people you know didn't want to have a big career. I agree foreign people shouldn't try to come and say what's what.

I do think your way of thinking is _so_ different from women in _so many_ western countries, and that's why this clash of opinions and feelings occur.
Also, you could perhaps agree that the "stay at home, take care of house&children" mentality was dominant in most western countries before the women's right movements and equal rights, rights to vote, etcetera. I think that's a big reason to why western women would say japanese women are oppressed. They simply just think that they are now in the same situation as women in their countries were in say a hundred years back.. I can't really blame them for the most part.

なんでやねん!