(#158 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-25-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
awesome input everyone.
I love the art of film making in Japan (well, those that actually have some artistic value) so I want to make films. Actually I want to write scripts but I can do that in the United States. I would like to write in Japan because I like how their films are made. Now my situation is different right? Because I can sell a story to any country.

Need input, please.
Thank you.
Hello Jupiter,

But then, purely from a business/marketing perspective, if I am a film maker, what is the benefit of me sponsoring you? As you said you can write a script anywhere, so why wouldn't i negotiate to just have you write it in the state and i purchase your script?

So, for the sake or arguing, let say you want to write something ABOUT Japan, its culutre, history or people, whatever the case is, and you need to do your research INSIDE Japan, it will still only be a temporary stay, most film maker will not offer you to "Come in do some research then write us a script, we will sponsor you". When they negotiate to purchase a script from you, they expect it to be done well enough or the idea is good enough that they can make a film out of it.

Even if they are willing to pay you (Just say you are that good and famous by then) to do a script for them and let you in to do the research, it will just be a temporary stay till you are done, no film maker will sponsor someone to work for them long term when they don't know that all your work is worth investing in

NOW, if you are to become a film director, thats a different story, this open up many other opportunities, maybe longer term stay, but it still goin to be temporary. Take lord of the ring for example, Peter Jackson have this great idea that Newline bought in to, and the funded him to travel around to look for location and to do the actual filming, but they didn't pay for him to stay in New Zeland permanently....