View Single Post
(#132 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Remember the people that read the SoPs and that are hiring you are not interested in how YOU will become a better more well-rounded person by the JET Program. You are being hired to make Japanese children more global citizens. You are not an ambassador, but a tool. Westerner tend to focus on the "me" (especially in Japanese eyes), so I wouldn't even mention what you want to get out of it, rather write what you want to put into it.
While you're right about not making it all about yourself, and an application should definitely mention how you plan to teach the kids, get them interested in English, etc, the people reading the applications are not gullible enough to believe that you ONLY want to go to Japan to improve the kids' English. They know that you've applied because you want to go to Japan too, and IMO there's nothing wrong with succinctly mentioning why you want to go, what you want to do there, and why you are interested in Japan. I mentioned it briefly, and I got into JET, so doing so isn't the kiss of death. Just be sure not to go on too long about it. I think such honesty is not only a good thing, it shows your interest in Japan.

Second, I'd say you actually are a local level ambassador on JET. Again, you shouldn't get carried away with self-importance about it, but mentioning that you also want to set a good example as a local level ambassador from your country with the students and townsfolk where you'll be living, and what you might have to both teach and learn from them (it's not all 1 way...) might be something to include in the essay. Remember that 2/3 of the Japanese govt agencies involved in CLAIR have to do with international relations, and only 1 with English education...

Just my 2 yen though...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan