(#6 (permalink))
Old
Yonsu (Offline)
New to JF

10-07-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Yonsu, maybe you can confirm this for me:

In my experience, Japanese people often aren't confident in their English-speaking skills, so are relieved when a foreigner can speak Japanese.

I have heard that this isn't the same in Korea, and even if you have a perfect accent, Westerners speaking Korean are looked at as if they are speaking Greek. Is this true?
Well, from what I know, Koreans look at Westerners speaking Korean as if they were speaking Greek... in a good way. I guess people would be shocked and surprised, of course. Korean isn't exactly a famous language compared to Chinese and Japanese. But I doubt they would be outright rude, unless they're very narrow-minded. I know there are some nasty people around, moreso in Korea for some odd reason (I think it's because of the philosophy that everything should be conformed, but that shouldn't be so prevalent because of westernization), but doesn't that apply to any country?

I assure you, most people would be absolutely delighted! <3 Koreans will also probably try to practice their English every chance they get, too. :P