(#851 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-30-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremost View Post
I have a question that may already have been asked, but I hope you don't mind me bringing it up (potentially again) on page.. 81?
Similar questions have been brought up multiple times, but I`ll look past that because you`re polite.

Quote:
I've never even been there before, so I don't know what to expect. I've read a few accounts about the life of foreigners in Japan ('Metaphysique des tubes' and 'Stupeur et tremblements' by Amelie Nothomb, which are touching, hilarious, and frightful all at once, and another by an Englishman who worked as a salaryman for a long time),
I think that there is something very important that needs to be remembered when dealing with novels, etc, about foreigners in Japan.

1) They wouldn`t sell if they weren`t "shocking". And...
2) Those most vocal usually do not represent the majority.

In other words, take their "truth" with a huge bucketful of salt. Your experience in Japan is likely to be nothing like any book, for real life is much more mundane than fiction (both in negative and positive ways). Plus - I personally really dislike Amelie Nothomb`s book as it seems to be used EVERYWHERE as a set-in-stone, 100% factual, etc etc, account of Japan. When in reality, it`s a loosely based in reality, embellished to no end, fictional account coming from someone who had a really bad experience...
As fiction, it`s not bad... The thing that drives me CRAZY is that it`s never treated as anything like fiction. If you look around, there are countless examples of books / movies about someone surviving a really awful company / job... But no one looks at one of them and says "All companies in (insert country) are just like that! How disgusting!". Everyone knows that is true and accepts that it is not reflecting every company out there, but somehow this knowledge is tossed out the window at an amazing speed when Japan is involved. Everyone seems to be searching for proof that Japan is an awful place to work, incredibly sexist, incredibly xenophobic - so books that support this view fly off the shelves.

Quote:
and am wondering what your personal experience was like? Do you feel integrated in Japanese society, do you feel that people treat you as an 'outsider' in any way?
Not any more than in the US.
I`m not an incredibly social person. I`m not anti-social, but I accept that I`m quite cold and not all that friendly. I`ve never been particularly popular - or rather, feel quite stressed with a lot of people around, so avoid the situation. In general, people in Japan share those feelings with me much more than anyone in the US did. So there is no stepping on people`s toes, etc. No one treats me obviously different, and if someone does it disappears the moment it is clear that I speak and understand Japanese fluently (as it always seems to be worry about language issues than general "foreignness".)
A common pattern I`ve been encountering the past couple of years is this; Meet someone, and either a) Have them express surprise about my level of fluency, or b) Have them say nothing at all, react no differently, etc. --> Few months later, be asked "I hate to be rude, but I was curious - where are you originally from?".

Is there something else that you`d like to know specifically about life?

Quote:
Any recommendations on how to earn money and live in Japan for a couple of months? I've been learning Japanese on and off for a while, and am working more intensively now. I already have a degree (I'll have my 1st Masters by the time I'm there as well).
Other than teaching English, no, there is really no easy and quick way in. If you`re in a country offering a working holiday visa then you can use that for a longer stay - but even then your job opportunities are going to be pretty limited ... to English teaching. You`re very much right about the English teaching being a pretty strong block to actually getting to know the locals and language... But there really aren`t many other options. Another field willing to hire you isn`t going to want to do anything short term.

Quote:
Oh... and I know tattoos have been mentioned before... I'm female and have a couple, will that affect my chances of... anything? Like getting a job, a love life (haha! the threat of the female yakuza)... ? @
This depends on their size and location. Somewhere that can be covered by clothing - I wouldn`t really worry about it. Hopefully your employers won`t be taking your clothes off in the interview room (and if they are, *cough cough*, I doubt it would be the type of job to care.) Same deal with love - if you`re stripping down for them chances are things are going to be past the point where it would make a difference.
Visible tattoos, on the other hand, can make a bad impression. It`s not really a yakuza thing, but more just generally bringing character into question. Tattoos aren`t something that normal people usually get here, so it makes you look like you`re a bit on the "wild" side. Not something that`s going to look good at a company interview, etc. If it`s visible, find a way to cover it...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.