View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-12-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So there was a Japanese-produced Star Trek anime? I am confused, as the question is in English and he has said "manga" and "anime" and I have no idea what we are talking about.

I don't know if we want to open the can of worms argument of what is anime and manga, but when someone asks "What do you think of the Star Trek manga?" I think "Oh, there was a Japanese produced comic book of Star Trek."

This is true of Batman, Spiderman, Star Wars... but I never heard of a Star Trek manga made in Japan.

And if he means an American-produced comic in English for Americans, that's called a "comic".

If it's an American-produced animated TV show in English for Americans, that's called a "cartoon".
Touche! nd you have explained the use of the words to me in another post. But why is it a can of worms. I know it probably means more to you because you have connection through your professions. By why is it a can of worms in the larger sense? It's Manga and Anime, not a serious issue? I think the questions I raised above are still worth considering. So why is a Japanese person's hand so special that only "Japanese comics" or "japanese cartoons" can be considered manga and anime?

Generally, folkore follows the same patterns universally. Trends in art are universally reproducable. Why is manga and anime different?