View Single Post
(#854 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
11-12-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post
1. I'm studying the Japanese atm through books alone since I can't afford a teacher, would you reccomend I save up for a tutor?
That depends on the learner. Some people can get a lot from self-learning, whereas others (like myself for instance) need traditional instruction. I do know someone who self-studied for years and didn't have any formal Japanese learning until his first year of college. Maybe you can do the same.
Quote:
2. Will my careers be limited to Teaching english? I don't do well infront of a group of people speaking...especially teenagers or kids D:.
Depends on your expertise and Japanese proficiency. If you have a really high level of Japanese, there's always that possibility that you could get a job outside of the typical "English teacher", even though that's the quickest and easiest way to go, but any other job would be more difficult.

You could always work as a translator or something along the lines of that. It might help if you explain what type of profession you are interested in.
Quote:
3. I hear alotta people say "holiday visa" or "monthly visa" what IS a visa? XD I've managed to gather that it's like...a working permit but does it cost to renew it every month? or is there a more...perminant version of it?
A visa is "a document whereby a government agency gives a citizen of another country permission to enter or leave the country."

There are different types of visas. A working visa is the type you need if you actually want to work within the country.
Quote:
4. My Japanese skills..arent so great XD I figure by the time I'm ready I will be alot better but does living there help enhance language (spelling? =/) skills?
Logically, it should since you have lots of opportunity to practice it.
Quote:
5. One of my biggest worrys/fears is that because I'm american I'll be turned down alot of jobs and such. Do employers discriminate or as long as I can work efficently I'll have no problem?
Can't really say for this, everyone's different, but for English teaching, I doubt they'd discriminate since you'd be a native speaker and all.

That aside, you will need to find a company who is willing to go through the hassle of sponsoring your work visa.
Quote:
6. Last one I promise x.x. What is "company housing"? is it hard to get?
To my knowledge, housing provided by the company you work for, like say teacher housing.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 11-12-2008 at 06:41 PM.