View Single Post
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-28-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

Also, one thing I querie against the "action-causing" sides of the argument. If violent sequences, or games make us do violent things. Then how comes when we watch good and rational things, why do we not aspire to do those?
That's not the argument at all. Violent sequences do not cause people to carry out violent acts directly... however being exposed to such violence makes society as a whole more desensitised to violent acts which in turn makes carrying out such acts easier to commit psychologically.

The proponents of this argument have science on their side too. If I remember correctly studies show that children who are exposed to violent games/movies tend to show more aggressive tendencies (that they don't manifest these tendencies beyond the law seems to be the position of the crowd that says "I play Grand Theft Auto and I'm fine" crowd which personally I think is stupid.)

Personally I agree with strict censorship. In New Zealand it is a criminal offence to expose a child to media rated Restricted 18/16/13. You can face a hefty fine or even go to jail for this crime in the more extreme cases regardless of whether you are the parent/legal guardian or not. Unfortunately such a law is really way too hard to enforce to the letter so the best way to get people to change their behaviour is to inform them and promote good practice and social responsibility.... and the best way to do this? Via the media...

So coming back to the thread topic. In my opinion the media is both a reflection of society and an influence on it.

Lol... I'm rambling...

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 11-28-2008 at 05:57 AM.