View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LadyRowena (Offline)
New to JF

Immigration/Visa Sponsorship question - 11-28-2008, 10:52 PM

So, I was reading debito.org (a dangerous move, at times, so I'm told) and I stumbled across a paragraph that raised a very important question:
"Immigration
"Your company does not sponsor your visa, even though a lot of companies say so: There is no formal relationship between an employer and the immigration office. When you go to renew your visa at the immigration office, you take your certificate of insurance, your employment contract and your tax-paid certificate. Those are the documents you need * that's it, and your employer is obliged to provide you with those, for whatever reason, on request, within 24 hours."

"If you think (bankruptcy is) gonna happen and, for example, your visa is coming up for renewal in one or two months, apply for a renewal now and present the documents that you have. You can ask for a new certificate of insurance, tax certificate and your current contract, which has an expiry date coming up, and present that to the immigration office saying: 'I'm expecting to be renewed,' and you get your visa renewed. All you have to do is say something like, 'I'm thinking of taking a holiday at the time of renewal, so I need to renew now,' because while your visa renewal is in you're not allowed to leave the country, so it's a perfectly valid excuse. . . . I would advise anyone to do that if they're in that situation." (Bob Tench)"

If I read this correctly, this means that your company does not have the right to deny/simply not offer your sponsorship. So, theoretically, you could go into any line of work and as long as you have insurance and a contract, you get a visa?