View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
VoteForPedro (Offline)
New to JF

Smile Studying in Japan - 03-14-2009, 09:33 PM

Hi, I'm from the UK and in a few months I'll be starting a degree hopefully at St Andrews University in Scotland - in Materials Science. Materials Science covers aspects of both Chemistry and Physics, and is a fairly new disipline which has only appeared in recent years as demand for people with skills in both fields has grown. Anyway in the past couple of years i have visited japan twice and have been lucky enough to live with a japanese family; truly a life changing experience. I visited because i had won the chance to take part in the 'Ritsumeikan Super Science Fair' in 2007 and the 'International Super Science Fair' in 2008. Both visits were mind blowing; it was difficult to explain in words how much i enjoyed being able to try and integrate myself into japanese life.
The reason for my post is, i'm looking ahead 4/5 years and am interested to know how easy it would be to do a postgradute degree in japan. My main question is 'How well known is St Andrews university in Japan?' Interestingly i have been offered a place at Oxford Uni, which is ofcourse known around the world, but i think i prefered St Andrews what will influence the outcome of any future applications to japanese universities that i may make?
Any information is much appreciated!
Thank very much!