View Single Post
(#985 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-15-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
I am from the U.S., and I can't get a university degree (the whole America charging incredibly high amounts for post-HS education thing...my father had tons of scholarships for basketball to go, but still couldn't because of the price) and I want to know if I would be able to get a job there.
A cheaper alternative is a Community College/Junior College. You know, a two-year institution and then switch over to a four-year university to finish up the degree. A lot of people are doing that now because of the high costs of going straight to a four-year university. You could also just stick with financial aid or student loans or go for grants and scholarships (which you don't have to pay back). It might not pay the entire thing, but it still helps.
Quote:
I understand I couldn't get a work permit/visa, but does that mean I can't work at all? Can I at least get a simple unskilled job, and eventually gain citizenship?
I'm not an expert in this, but I have the feeling that the answer to this would be a "no". I don't think too many people would want to openly employ an illegal immigrant for a job that an actual native and citizen can do.
Quote:
But yeah, my problem with that is how far could I go that has affordable rent for a shared flat between 2-3 working people (I might also go with one of my friends), yet is close enough to be within good reach of a large city?
If I'm not mistaken, it's difficult for foreigners to rent in Japan, and if you're there illegally, I don't see how you'd expect to do so.
Quote:
Basically my biggest concern is citizenship/jobs. I'm not worried at all about the culture or language, especially now after reading the 'testimonials' on here. Mainly I'd just like to know if I could get there, apply for permanent residency (at least eventually),
Unless it's changed, you had to have lived in Japan for at least ten consecutive years to apply for permanent residency.
Quote:
and my biggest concern at the moment is if I could get a job when I go there. I don't want to have to resort to getting jobs illegally (like a select few of illegal immigrants in America have to), but I might have to if what I'm concerned about is the case.
I wouldn't try that, personally. Just go about it the legal way if possible.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 03-15-2009 at 03:43 AM.