(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-24-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Where did Nyororin say that being an English Teacher is a bad idea. Realistically it is one of the only ideas. Easy? I don't know about that. A job is a job, and there are expectations.

However, there is nothing about being an English teacher that would prevent you from immersing yourself into your local Japanese culture. If anything it would give you more access than someone who was working for a Western corporation.
I think maybe they mean in another thread?
I have said numerous times in the past that if it`s your goal to learn Japanese and you want to come to Japan to acquire language and cultural skills... Teaching English is far from an ideal path to do so. Depending on the school, a lot of the smaller English conversation places actually strongly discourage their teachers from socializing with the locals so that there is no chance of them using Japanese in class and so they keep their fresh foreign flavor.

Of course that isn`t the case EVERYWHERE, but even when it isn`t a school policy the environment is usually not one conductive to actually learning Japanese and about Japan. You`re put into a group of people who are well known for being extremely negative toward Japan...

But teaching English is one of the few jobs you can get without Japanese skill... It`s a huge toss up though. I always encourage people who have an interest in Japanese language and culture to head down the language school route.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.