View Single Post
(#51 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-14-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I decided not to read this entire thread because to do so would have me so insensed over the biased ignorance of some of the posters that I would be typing almost as much nonsense as some of the responses that are so stupid as to be offensive.

I can tell that Tsuwabuki knows exactly what the issues are around gender and sex identity. Only those of us who have worked with or been directly affected by gender dysphoria go around quoting the DMS IV. For those of you who didn't know that acronym is the the Diagnostic Manual used by physchiatry. But it IS the definitive source on this matter currently.

The referral to animals humping and estrogen/testosterone to determine anything related to this is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. The are other reasons for the animal behavior that are far from related to the animal's percieved gender identity. Go play somewhere else! And since some people don't know their biology..... testostrone is a necessary component of female sexuality as well as male, so forget that whole discussion.

Androgeny is the proper term for what Yoshimi was describing. "Genderqueer" is not only slang and and incorrect, it is offensive to most people - whether it was intended to be so or not. Androgeny means indistinct or blending of gender traits - whether referring to personality, self identity, or the physical traits. A hermaphrodite is a human who, for whatever biological reason, was born with both male and female gentialia. It is not a psychological term, but a physical state of being. Gender is psychological, sex is biological.

Now PLEASE, unless you are going back to the original thread, if you don't have training or first hand experience with this issue, confine yourself to stating your feelings or asking questions. Assuming something just because you have heard some other uneducated person say it and posting it as fact, is seriously insulting to some of the users reading this thread.
Hmmm,
Treat others how you would want to be treated yourself. Take your own advice and choose your own words more carefully next time. Least thing that is wanted is for this to turn into an flame war.

That said, I would advise you to reread my posts on estrogen/testosterone. Firstly I did NOT say that only male and female produce one of the above only did I? Nor did I say having more of the one is what is depended on calling someone male or female. I would greatly appreciate it as much as others would also, that you read what we write instead of putting words into our writing. To add to that, it was an response stating why there is boundaries in the sexes in society.

Which one are you referring to?
androgyny - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

androgeny - definition of androgeny by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"Gender is psychological, sex is biological."

gender - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

gender - definition of gender by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

WHO | What do we mean by "sex" and "gender"?

I'll let others defend there positions that they have.

YoshimiTheEthereal's,

After reading your reply to my post an few times it came to me exactly what the problem is. Culture. While society has the rules an ideas on the account of what an male and female role is, by the most part how you act in that doesn't affect the grand scheme of things as long as you recognize that you are either female or male (like I said in an previous post). Culture on the other hand will and does care for the "abnormal" (lack of an better term). Examples would be "rednecks", "cowboys", "devas", "rap", and you should get the point.

That said there is some truth to saying there is no such thing as cross-dressing. Two notes I would like to add to this is bras, and drag queens. Bras should at least, be worn only by those that need them, and have no business being worn by someone who doesn't have breasts it simply makes no sense why someone would where something that offers only "support" when they have nothing to support. That leads me unto my next topic drag queens. They are what I was talking about previous in that they go so far to deny what they fundamentally are to "play" an role throughout there lives. Society rejects them because of that.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.