View Single Post
(#64 (permalink))
Old
Bilgewater (Offline)
New to JF

06-17-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post
I really don't know why gender groups even exist. It's stupid and it hurts people who are not one of the two. That's why androgyny exists, and even why most people who have sex change operations have them, probably. People may want to change their sex so that their gender and sex match, so that they will perhaps no longer feel hurt and humiliated by society.
Well you wont find much relief in Japan, or might I add with most foreigners in Japan as well. We dont fit in anywhere either.

My advice is to just go with the flow. Not like things are going to change anytime soon.

As for the basic question, there are many times when the genders are distinguished from each other. You got your public baths, schools, and elementary and junior high schools typically seat students boy girl boy girl even down to graduation ceremonies where the students walk down the aisle boy girl to get their diplomas. My community has some kind of mandatory community service jobs that every home owner must do, and the jobs are either for men, or for women. Women are generally assigned cleaning and cooking jobs, while men are required to do the jobs like volunteer fire fighters or helping the local shrine when there is some festival, which are basically reasons to get drunk (none of us would know what to do if we were asked to put a fire out).

I dont know what to say about this androgynous stuff. Just... well, you might want to just stay away from anything that makes you uncomfortable like onsens and single gender schools.

As I said, things arent going to change in our lifetimes.