View Single Post
(#68 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
No, did not ask for your life story as an example, I asked for ACCREDITED evidence that separated people by sex is harming. Keep in mind we have been doing this for hundreds if not thousands if years. To add did you only get hurt (feelings), or can you prove that you been mentally damaged by this?

Ugh, No just NO. Where did you get the idea that being separated from the opposite means you have to be submissive? By that logic you can apply the same to men and say they are being submissive also. I've already addressed the "dresses" part so I would ask you go back and reread that section. I don't see the connection your trying to say here.

Equal rights spurred the feminist movement NOT separation. Does the vast majority of people see someone else being non-human? Point is you cannot deny that there is an fundamental difference between the sexes. Last to add, culture is as it is, that groups usual way of thinking.
First, please stop saying "NO, JUST NO." Its obnoxious. I think it's completely possible to have a calm discussion, just expressing ideas, without saying shit like "OMG YOU'RE SO WRONG." Relax.

It's always funny how personal stories aren't valued. Personal stories are what spurred the need for movements. I feel like my life is "accredited." If that's not good enough for you, move on.

The need to make women submissive to men is what separated men and women. Whenever one group wants to oppress another, suddenly labels and expected qualities come with these labels. It's the same thing with race and sexuality. In fact, before the Victoria age, there was no "homosexual." There was just sex and desire. Then, in order to make one group of people submissive to another, scholars began declaring that people who had sex with the same gender were mentally ill. There was a new group - homosexuals were separated from heterosexuals. Now that they've been separated, people can easily discriminate against them.

And yes, equal rights did spur the feminist movements. Because women, who were separated from men and felt emotionally attacked that they could not do the same things as men, decided to do something about it.

I'm just making up a quick example, but there are also many fundamental differences between women and pregnant women, right? Yet we still think of them as women. We still have women go into the same bathrooms, still expect them to have the same qualities that come with the labels of "woman." If we suddenly wanted to discriminate against pregnant women, however, we could easily do that. We could call pregnant women by a completely different label that isn't associated with women in general. Maybe we could call them preggers. From there, we could label them and say there are expected qualities for all preggers. They're all supposed to be moody and constantly hungry.

But we don't. We also don't need to do it for men and women. Then, we would just be humans with biological differences, as my brown skin is darker than a white person's skin, and there wouldn't be as much discrimination.

LOVE: pass it on