View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy888 View Post
Hey guys, thank you for the prompt replies. I have never had first hand experienced living in Japan or been amongst japanese people but have always been fascinated with the culture and way of life. I guess with the incident with the stone pattern would be really annoying for someone like me, as I am british born chinese all my tendencies, behaviours and mannerisms would be of a western european. I was born in England but my ethnic background is chinese so in Japan and because of the colour of my skin I guess I would have fallen into the "uneducated chinese" group right?? I do agree though It really does only take one incident to tarnish positive opinions of an ethnic group. Another question that I want to ask you guys is would the japanese treat an english speaking chinese person different from a native chinese person or are they really both percieved as foreigners??
Nope, they won't be treated any differently. The ability to speak English doesn't give you special treatment. Again, as others pointed out in other thread, non Asian gain more attention because they stand out in the crowd as MINOTRITY there.

Any NON Japanese are percieved as foreigners, there are two things that make you a NON-Foreigner - Born Japanese, Speak Japanese. Anything outside of that are consider foreigners.

A lot of my childhood friends have parents working in the US base, they were not treated any differently than I was. Recent trips to Japan with my Italian friends also indicate the same

The ability to speak English as Asian got me treated just like any other foreigner - like a tourist. In most cases, they are very friendly and polite with Tourist...