View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Reutte (Offline)
New to JF

28 Degrees What? - 07-09-2009, 06:02 AM

So I was wondering something about Japan. Right now it's July and it's sort of hot, more humid but it can get up there. So I'm in a home stay and I enjoy it and everything except one strange thing.

My host mom will not let me use my air conditioner. I have in my room a heat/air conditioner unit and she basically told me that in Japan people do not set the heat(cold air) lower than 28 degrees Celsius. So I'm really confused and a bit frustrated. It's really hot at night and I really want to use my air conditioner. However, my host mom got a bit mad at me last night for setting it to 24 and told me that I can't set it lower than 28. She also checked my room to make sure that I didn't set the temperature lower than 28. When I asked for a fan she gave me one but told me not to use it at night because being in a cool room can make you sick. I don't really know how to explain to her that having a cool room is the only thing that lets me sleep in this heat.

Can anyone tell me where this whole 28 degree thing is coming from? I've been asking my friends and none of them have experienced this and some of them even have their host parents turn on their air conditioning for them because they think their room is too hot. My host mother gives "eco" and electricity costs as the reason but it's strange. When I was using my unit as a heater all the time she didn't care at all. All of a sudden I can't use my unit anymore. Plus 28 degrees is not very cool. I could understand not lower than 25 but I'm just curious. I've never heard of a 28 degree limit thing.

Anyone know about this 28 degree thing?