View Single Post
(#36 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Not at all. I don't think you're an idiot just because you don't agree with me. People can disagree without saying, "You're an idiot." Insulting another person while arguing is the only way to degrade an argument and therefore a person. "Your opinion is stupid," for example. If a person doesn't insult another, then they're not degrading anything or anything.

Disagreements become unhealthy and degrading when people feel insecure about their own points, and so use words or phrases to degrade their rival. Disagreements become unhealthy and degrading when groups of people want to strengthen their community by picking out one single person to degrade and insult.

You and I both know that it's possible to disagree while acknowledging healthily that we are both intelligent, capable human beings. We're doing it right now.
I would say using words or phrases to try and degrade a person's argument when one is already losing is a common strategy. If I decide to "attack the messenger" and say "You don't know what you are talking about because you don't have a degree" or even "that argument is stupid and you are an idiot" it is insulting, and a pathetic attempt to win the argument.

But I wouldn't call that "bullying". Now, if I was incessant and did it to every post you made or thread you started we are starting to talk about bullying or harassment.

I think bullying is more incessant and more serious. Again, I don't want to dilute the seriousness of the crime of bullying by agreeing with the idea that all insults are a form of bullying. Insults can and often are a part of what a bully does to his victim, but you and I are not in a position where there is a power struggle or scramble for a social position above or below each other. I think that factor cannot be ignored.