View Single Post
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

07-27-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post

It is easy to say that XII had more refined characters then VIII. VIII had no audio, it's up to you to decide how the characters are interacting with each other by what text reads. X and XII have voice overs, so you can feel the emotion much easier. You don't have to fill in all the little details yourself.
In that sense, you can say that Tidus had more personality then Cloud. Though I do like Tidus in combat, and I enjoy his character design, he is definitely one track minded. (I don't want to go off topic here, but you can say he has more personality then anyone from 7-9.)
Voice over has got nothing to do with character development, the story itself and their conection to it, and the dialogs is what develops them. Recently the FF IV remake came out for the DS with voice over, but that didn't change their personalities. You don't need a voice over to understand characters emotions, it's the dialogs that count. If you see a character waving his hands a "!" in the end of a sentence, you con't need to ponder just to realize that he's shouting, thus I dissagree with your opinion that Tidus has more personality then anyone prior to FF X. Yes, voice overs make the characters more lively, but not that much where they has more personality than previous ones. If I were to agree with that, then it be the same as saying that Kimahri has more personality then... lets say, Barret or anyone else, just because he has a voice over.

PS: This thread was derailed from the begining, I see no point why we should stop, not to mention there isn't much to talk about FF XIII anyway.

Quote:
Could you please explain how you see Squall as an emo? He doesn't want to let people in on his life and chooses to isolate himself. An emo wants people to feel sorry for them and console then. Squall wants to be left alone, to not be bothered. Emos want attention but don't admit it. This isn't like Squall at all.
Maybe calling him an emo was wrong, but that's how he looks to me. I didn't like Squall was because he shunned everyone away with his annoying "loner" behaviour, which is lame. Through the game all the characters show affection to him, wanting to be friends or more, but you got to put with this "I don't let people in because I'm afraid to get hurt" crap, until the end when he finally realizes he loves Rinoa and when that's done it's time to save the world. From each FF series you get a main character who's not only looks, but also personality differs from the last one. While Squall was more like a genetically-altered clone of Cloud.
The reason why I compared Vaan and Squall was because of their same ages and they have similar pasts. Vaan is also an orphan who lost his family (including his brother later), but you don't see him whining. The flashbacks show how difficult it was for him while visiting his brother in a hospital, and that even afterwords these memories still haunt him, but still he moves on to persue his dream to become a sky pirate. And from the beginning you see how much he trusts and cares about people surrounding him, Kytes, Migelo, and especially Penelo - his new family. Squall practically needed to be slapped into sense, like when Irvine told him to rescue Rinoa.

Quote:

Ok then. I was never able to play the fist VI, but I'll take your word for it. (Though I have recently played a bit of FFI on the PSP, not sure if it's different.)
FF VI is nothing like FF. It's has a deep story in it, involving many different characters (who have interesting subplots), espers, and the most badass villain in all FF franchise. While FF only revolves around 4 warriors of light with no back stories who must save the world from chaos. I see no point in comparing the two more thoroughly, since we're talking FF here - the first of the franchise. What am I trying to say here, if you think that FFVI doesn't differ from FF, then you're completly wrong.