View Single Post
(#23 (permalink))
Old
KaiTea (Offline)
Stuck man.

08-07-2009, 03:18 AM

All I can say to everyone's post is "Wow." All of your comments are very insightful and I've read every persons' opinions very carefully to fan out my own interpretation.

I just have one question to ask everyone, if its alright. (Please answer honestly, because I would like to visit Japan soon.)

What is it like for an Black American living in Japan? I can safely assume that they would get just as much criticism as other foreigners would get in Japan. Just like in America, racism flourishes and it is just something people get used to. However I am certain, just like in America, not EVERYONE is racist in Japan. There are people who have an open mind and judge one for their characteristics rather than their background and appearance... right? I certainly hope so. I used to have a desire to live in Japan, but now that I am older, I would just like to visit. If I were to continue the path of becoming a translator, I am certain I would have to stay in Japan for a given time to help hone my Japanese language skills (Which is not easy. lmao)

I am not pulling out a race card, it is just an honest question. Please forgive me if it appears that way. ^_^;;

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
There are laws, but they are never enforced. I should be getting disability from Japan from an injury I suffered at work. First my manager lied about it because he would have gotten in trouble for not following safety guidelines. Then he threatened all the Japanese employees with termination if they were witnesses for me (6 of the honest ones quit because of this). I got an attorney and he was told by the Japanese Labor board "Japan will never give disability to a gaijin". He refused to take it any further and refused my payment because he was embarrassed.
Laws are just words on paper if no one enforces them.
That's just terrible and a shame for someone to do such a thing to a person who had suffered an injury on the job.