View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

I think this is the big difference. A dedicated caretaker and stay-at-home parent is given value, and quite a lot at that. A good parent is a highly valued part of the community, and not someone told to stay at home and slave away. They RUN the home, the neighborhood, etc. It`s not like being discarded out of a workforce - it`s just another path. As you say, parenting is hard work. Producing productive children for the future is something which a lot of value is placed upon in Japan. The attitude of a lot of women when they are staying home is that the husband is out working FOR her benefit - he works at her command and brings the money home to her in return for a place to sleep and food - because she is busy with the truly important things... Like raising children (the future) and maintaining the "real" world outside of a company`s walls. Men are valued for their ability to create money - and that is the main thing. Women have power over what happens with that money and with the future via their children.
It really is a difference in culture. I`m sure I would feel differently if not making money were thought of as inferior.
This is exactly why America is going to Hell. No one watches or teaches their kids and the kids are raising themselves and learning their behaviors from other kids in the streets. My mother stayed home until the youngest was almost finished with high school and we turned out pretty good if I say so myself. No unwanted pregnancies, no jail time, no gangs, no killings, etc.
I wish more people thought like you, America could be great again. Raising good kids is all of our futures. I am afraid to think about what will happen when I get old now. I'm glad you are comfortable in your very important role as mother and homemaker.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!