View Single Post
(#252 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-14-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
That would make things a lot more simple, I agree. But what about the different cultures that stretch out across America? What about the different religions, music, food, and "deep culture" values and understandings? I don't know if it would be so fair to just say, "They're all American." America is a place that has many roots. I personally would like to study those roots, preserve the history of those roots, rather than just put them all under the one category of American.

I kind of wish there was a way to have both, because I definitely agree with you. I would like to just say, "We're all one people." But what about the ones who want to identify with a race or culture because they're proud of it?

It's a Catch-22. If we identify people by their race/culture, then that makes it easier for racism and other forms of oppression to spring up. If we ignore race/culture, then we're also ignoring people's roots.
In my opinion(and for some people im wrong) US is a country of mixed races and cultures. For me, the word American just means mixed cultures. All those mixed cultures here in US is what makes the American culture, so thats why I just think we should just be called Americans.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka