View Single Post
(#261 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
Because a "Black American" is black, and a "latino American" is latino?
It's not bring up stereotypes, it's bringing up races. Now, it's your turn, go ahead...ask me why I posted this, since your obviously going to ignore it anyhow.
darksyndrem, I've ignored any post you made that happened to be insulting, or attempted to pull me into a flame war.

Unfortunately, that was every post up until this one. Even this one attempts to bait me, but I can see that you're actually trying to have a calm, mature discussion now, so I will gladly answer you.

To me, races come along with stereotypes. It doesn't necessarily mean that every person agrees or believes in these stereotypes, but there are stereotypes - for every race. For example, for the white race, there's the idea that "white people can't dance" or "white people can't jump." Silly stereotypes, I know. Yet I've heard from time to time at parties, "Wow, that white girl can dance!"

Why the surprise? Why the shock? Why is that girl any different from the other people dancing around her? It's the stereotype that white people can't dance that fuels the shock when people see that there are white people who can indeed dance.

LOVE: pass it on