Thread: The N-Word
View Single Post
(#268 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-14-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
"Hispanic" is another word that isn't politically correct because of the implications of colonization. To say that a Puerto Rican is "Hispanic" is wrong, because Spain does not own or control Puerto Rico.
Out of curiosity, how is it wrong when a Puerto Rican would be considered a Hispanic? It's just how it is. I know Puerto Ricans who aren't offended by that term and use it. The offensive term is "Spic", not "Hispanic". They call themselves Hispanic. Now, seems that a Puerto Rican might feel offense if you assume they're something other than Puerto Rican.

My friend is from El Salvador (so he's technically Latino/Latin American), and if you called him say...a Mexican or assume he's from Mexico, he would take offense to that, but of course, it'd probably depend on the person saying it. My Puerto Rican friend is the same way. Call him Hispanic, but don't assume he's Mexican.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-14-2009 at 09:57 PM.