View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
sakurasake41 (Offline)
New to JF

08-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
I don't think you can really 'pressure' the immigration office - they're a government agency, they work as fast as they feel like.

A one way ticket with a tourist visa is not a good idea. I've heard of people getting into Japan on a tourist visa with a one way ticket, but I've heard of people being turned away as well - i.e., it depends on the particular immigration officer you encounter when you get there. The last thing you want is to be stuck in the airport with no way of getting into Japan and no ticket back home.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the best option would be. I would at least call the consulate again, explain your entire situation, and make absolutely sure if you can or can't get it sorted out while you're in Japan. I do believe you can switch your visa in Japan from a tourist visa to a student visa IF you have the COE in hand. I wouldn't mail it to the SF Consulate after landing in Japan - just keep the COE in Japan and apply for your visa there. But the whole one-way ticket dilemma still remains...
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about too... do you think it would help to call the airport and explain my situation to them, and see what they think? I know at minimum I'll be there for 90 days which wouldn't be a problem, but at the same time if I stay there for longer, then it'll be a hassle. I guess the only thing I can do for sure is contact the school (again...) and see what they think.