(#2 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-04-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
So, a few months ago during practice we were going takedowns and doing a drill where one guy stays in and every 1 minute a fresh guy comes in (everyone seems to have a different name for this, but in any case it's exhausting). I get to the 7th or 8th guy and next up is this heavyweight who has a good 100lbs on me. Long story short I launched this guy high and hard across the mat - feet to the lights. It was a beautiful thing and we all had a good laugh over it. This guy was not some scrub in off the street, but a wrestler with at least 10 years experience, but so much of grappling is about leverage, timing, 'taking' your opponent's center of gravity and the like. With lesser trained opponents it's almost ridiculous how easy it can be to put a bigger guy on his face and keep him there (though no fun to get hit by one).

I was wondering if any of the strikers out there had similar experiences in their areas of expertise.
As for striking? There are countless areas on the body that, regardless of strength or size of the person, cannot be trained (throat, eyes, knees, etc.), and thus make excellent targets, enabling even the smallest practitioner to take down even the most hulking of giants.

Although I'm amazed you can train at all these days, tksensei; your back must be killing you from all the patting youv'e been doing.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。