View Single Post
(#101 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
09-07-2009, 10:52 PM

I honestly don't get what the big deal is. Obama is giving a speech to encourage kids to stay in school and to work hard. Why people have a problem with that, and the assignment where the kids write letters TO THEMSELVES as to how they can help the President is beyond me. Who cares! It's the first day of school. It would probably be an exciting assignment for young kids as opposed to the generic, "How did you spend your summer vacation." junk. You know, the assignment sorta reminds me of the one used in that J-drama I saw a good while back called Triangle. The 4th graders had to write letters to themselves about what they wanted to be when they grew up or either about goals they wanted to achieve and all that. The assignment Obama is giving seems similar to me.

I know when I was a kid, I had to write a letter to Reagan (can't remember what about) and with Bush Sr., early 90s, I remember seeing, in school his going on about how drugs were bad and to stay away from them. I also remember my teacher giving us an assignment too, like what to do if offered drugs and all that. I was excited whenever anything dealing with the President was introduced to me when I was young. To me, it was like the President cared.

I think everyone is over-reacting who's against it. If anything, they should let the kids make up their own minds. I find it embarrassing (as an American) and disrespectful when we've had Presidents in the past make speeches to school-aged kids about education and drugs.

Edit: Just remembered something. Isn't the assignment optional?

Last edited by SSJup81 : 09-07-2009 at 10:57 PM.