View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
I have a question concerning this, not that I have tattoos or plan on getting one... Do Japanese, generally speaking, care about tattoos on someone who is not Japanese? I know they aren't stupid, generally, and should realize that tattoos means different things to different cultures. Most people have never heard of that respect to parents thing (I bet that many Japanese haven't either, I hope I remember to ask this next time I'm in town).
I know this does not represent the majority of Japanese, but the Japanese I talked to and met while in Japan seemed so open to the world and it's cultures and politics that I couldn't imagine them suddenly retreating because of a tattoo.
Yes and no...if I were meeting my Japanese girlfriend's parents I would do what I could to make sure they didn't see my tattoos (if I had any).

On the other hand, the Japanese culture is generally one of acceptance as long it isn't hurting me personally, which is why homosexuality, for example, isn't considered a "problem in society".

If you were to ask a Japanese person why they don't want to get a tattoo, I doubt they would say "because I respect my parents". It's more of subtle, ingrained thing. The Japanese people I have talked to usually don't want one because it "looks dirty". I also know some Japanese rock and rollers that have tattoos, so obviously that isn't universal.

And the answer would be "yes" if you were trying to get into a onsen where tattoos are not allowed. The reason tattoos are not allowed is because it keeps the yakuza out, and you can't say "No yakuza" but you can say "no tattoos." So if an onsen lets a foreigner in who has tattoos and the yakuza hears about it, there will be hell to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
In the US? I am not saying you are wrong, but what kind of place in the US would bar you from entering because of a tattoo? People would be all over them for rights infringements. Unless it's private property where ANYTHING the owners don't like can have you legally barred (even racism or sexism or whatever), I don't know where else this could apply.
I know Costco does not allow employees with pierces anywhere besides the ears work there. They were sued over it and won.