View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Undertherose25 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-20-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
If you lived in Japan you would see that it goes way beyond toilet use or trying to be perfect. Whose to say it isn't a genetic trait? Most have signs of a mild OCD. And no, it doesn't need to be extreme. Most cases of OCD are bearly noticeable.
They don't know where OCD comes from.

I have [mild] OCD by way of PTSD [no it is not a 'soldiers' disorder but it does affect them the most] and I've been diagnosed with it by a Psychiatrist.

You don't say you have it unless you've been diagnosed, most people don't understand what it actually is. Mild OCD means you freak out about little things, you check the locks on doors multiple times, check to make sure they've turned lights on or off, etc. it doesn't interfere with their daily life but it's still serious.

OCD symptoms range from MILD to EXTREME. There is no 'slight' or 'little bit'.

I think the Japanese are just taught these things at an early age, a man in my Chinese class said he and his wife went to Japan and they were startled by how clean they were, they had a man wiping down the railing of an escalator every time it emptied. I don't think that's OCD I think its learned behavior.

Quote:
How is it diagnosed?

There is no diagnostic test for OCD. Your doctor will listen to a history of your symptoms and ask you questions. He or she will want to know what types of obsessions and compulsions you have, and whether they interfere with your everyday life and relationships in any way. You may have OCD if you have thoughts you can't ignore or make go away; you feel the need to check things over and over, such as whether a door is locked or a light switched off; you need to clean objects or your hands repeatedly; your obsessions or compulsions make you feel anxious; and these feelings interfere with your normal activities. It is important to answer the doctor's questions openly and honestly. He or she will also ask about any medications you are taking to be sure they are not causing your symptoms. People with OCD often avoid seeking treatment because they are embarrassed by the condition. While brain imaging studies are not used to diagnose OCD, when researchers have compared positron emission tomography (PET) scans of people with and without OCD, they found different patterns of brain activity in people with OCD.

♥Proud Wife of a U.S. Airman♥

Dir en Grey

Last edited by Undertherose25 : 09-20-2009 at 04:07 PM.