View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-19-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korriken View Post
well, going from dictionary form to te form isn't troublesome, but sometimes when im reading i gotta stop for a second and conjugate in reverse to figure out what the base verb is.

but you're probably right, there is probably a lot of particles and uses that I have yet to see, and i simply don't know that I'm messing up. Perhaps I'll do some writing today and post it somewhere to see if I'm messing up and not realizing it.

but is the distinction between wa and ga really that hard? I always thought the distinction between topic and subject to be fairly simple. Something tells me I'm dead wrong.
No, it's not so simple. Wa and ga emphasize different parts of the sentence(疑問は残る vs. 疑問が残る), there are times when you cannot use wa but you can use ga (○なにがあったの; ×なにはあったの), there are "special" combinations of wa and ga that you use together (姉さんは背が高い, e.g.), there are times when you convert wa to ga (オレはやるー>オレがやると言った), etc.

As for particles in general, I own entire books about just particles. Just to list some in reverse alphabetical order: zutu, zo, ze, yori, yo, ya, wa, uchi (referred to in some texts as a particle, but more of a noun in my sense), (t)te, tutu, etc. That's basically U-Z with a couple Ts thrown in.

Good luck, it's very fun to learn these things!

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 10-19-2009 at 11:16 PM.