View Single Post
(#20 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
10-29-2009, 07:07 PM

For those of you who think you do not have to carry a government issued ID in the U.S., times are changing. Even if you do not want to travel on any form of public transportation some states require that you carry an ID on your person at all times. Importantly, everyone born after Dec. 01, 1964 will be required to carry a federally compliant, government (state or terretorially issued) ID after December 01, 2014. So you might as well start thinking differently about your "personal ID tag". Those of us born before that date get an extra three years. If you want more details, its in Title II of the Real ID Act.

I like the idea, but not the possibility that an unauthorized person could read the chip. My passport and credit cards are now stored in wallets specifically designed to shield the contents from any electronic surveillance. You have to ask to read the chips in mine, or get it quick while I am actually using them.

If you search, there are commercial manufacturers who make very nice shielded wallet and document envelopes, that once were only used by certain specialized agencies. In fact I gave a nice leather passport wallet of to my brother, who thought it a very odd birthday present, till he read the spec sheet for it.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.

Last edited by TalnSG : 10-29-2009 at 07:09 PM.