View Single Post
(#34 (permalink))
Old
jorge10 (Offline)
JF Regular

12-10-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsuto11 View Post
I don't think that looking up a kanji would be a problem for you if you studied kanji properly!
I cannot specify a way which you can use in order to be able to find any kanji, since that depends on the system your dictionary uses. If it uses the traditional system_looking'em by their radicals_ then you should first memorize the radical of every single character or at least be able to realize it in the character itself even if it is the first time you encounter it. But i think that if you want to serve more time, you should try the kodansha kanji learner's dictionary or other dictionaries that use the SKIP method to look up a kanji. That method actually can halp you in most of the cases to break down your kanji by its roots and combinations. Even someone who doesn't know japanese may have the potential to distinguish the different parts forming a single kanji through the spaces between'em. Your last choice may be your PC! The internet is actually full of resources to help you knowing any specific detail regarding any chinese character you want! I can reccomend you to use a website called tangorin, yamasa kanji learner's dictionary and much more websites (if you wish to know the rest, go to the page with the topic "kanji" in wikipedia and take a look at the external links). If you face any difficulty to type a specific kanji into your computer, you may draw it in Words and then copy and paste it, but make sure to memorize first the stroke order of the basic radicals. Finally, if you don't succeed to find a specific kanji, PM me and I will look it up for you the moment I receive your message
Thank you very much for your advice! I was planning on buying two kodansha dictionaries as soon as I have the money for them. They are called, "Kodansha's communicative english japanese dictionary" and "Kodansha's furigana japanese dictionary." I will go to a bookstore and look for the dictionary you recommended and check it out. At the moment, it looks like I'll use kanjisite.com to learn some Kanji. They put kanji in sections by the JLPT level, which I like. Once again, thanks for the help.