View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-19-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
1. あの〜 means "umm." I was taught it falls into the category of aizuchi, but wikipedia suggests aizuchi are things like はい、うん inserted in conversation to show you're listening. This is not what Yookoso labels "aizuchi." Yookoso says aizuchi are あのう、ええと, etc. Regardless, あのう = "umm"

2. どうも is like "hey" or "hi"—I couldn't tell you the implications of using it, though. My friends all said stuff like おっす、うぃっす、おはよう and my hostmother would say おはよう. I think maybe a couple older neighbors would say どうも, but I'm not sure. I sure never used it. ALthough, given the situations in which I would use どうも(どうもすみません、どうもありがとう), I suspect it's a bit more polite than just おはよう. Technically, おはよう comes from the Kyoto variant of お早い, meaning "early"—but that is irrelevant to your question.

3. Yeah, but when someone asks "where do you work?" they're not really asking for the city, but for the name of the company even in English.
1. Actually it is also used as a form of "excuse me", so in this case I think the OP had it right the first time.

2. I hear it more between business relations than just friends, and I think more by older people than younger people. It is shortening a longer sentence, so "hi" or "hey" isn't quite right. It could be short for どうも ひさしぶりです or some other longer phrase.