View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-23-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camporeale View Post
how can i go about trying to contact this family? also, are both pictures from the same family?
They are not from the same family.

As far as locating the families, I'll defer to a native on this one. Someone who lives in Japan might not know.

However, I promise you that if a native does not have any suggestions for you, I will contact some of my closest friends in Japan and ask them how we could go about doing this. Japan tracks families a lot more closely than we do in the US. There are family registries and when you change cities, I think you have to re-register with the government of the new town.

This means it's probably easier to find this family than it would be in the US. I could do it in the US, but that's because I've got some expertise at this point in genealogy and stuff here.

There must be companies in Japan that do this, too, if worse comes to worst. I know some companies used to do family histories of applicants in order to discriminate against burakumin (basically "untouchables") and some still do (even though it's illegal) in secret.