View Single Post
(#57 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

02-04-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
I understood that, but that doesn't mean they are selfish. Selfish would be if the parent would care about their happiness before their child's safety.

Research on the definition of 'selfish' and 'altruism'. JasonTakeshi is making good points but he isn't realizing that his points prove parents are altruist, rather than selfish.

There is no selfishness when real love is involved.

Definition: "Selfishness denotes the precedence given in thought or deed to the self, i.e., self interest or self concern. It is the act of placing one's own needs or desires above the needs or desires of others." Unwanted emotions don't make you selfish, because they are just something that happens after you act. You didn't think beforehand that saving your child would make you happy, and that's why you're gonna do it.
Their child's safety brings them happiness, regardless of "consciently" or "unconsciently". Eather way, it doesn't matter if the child benefit or not.
It is almost instinctly to protect someone dear to you. Why? Because it's dear to you. (the bounds crap again)

Knowning that your child is safe brings you happiness. Knowning that your child is unsafe brings you sadness. Knowing that your child turned into a mosquito but can still continue to "bound" with you brings you happiness. The child is now a mosquito. Your sad because she is a mosquito, but rather a mosquito than dead for you.

But lets see it trough another point of the bottle...

Would a parent (generalizing to much, i know...) perform euthanasia on his child if he knew it would relief the child's pain, assuming that that pain was incurable?

Edit: And there you go with the dictionary crap again. Am i talking to you or to a dictionary? I don't take great consideration of what comes of a dictionary. Seen coultless of definitions of that same word, @ countless dictionaries.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 02-06-2010 at 04:24 AM.