View Single Post
(#571 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
No sense of entitlement, no unreasonable demands would be made of them to cater to other things only I would appreciate.
Koir, hi.
I’m afraid, I don’t understand this sentence.
Does it mean like this? : “Your host doesn’t need to prepare honorable feast or something only for your pleasure.”

Quote:
Indeed I would, because seeing how they live and what they prefer to place in their surroundings can be and is a glimpse into their true selves when they are alone. Such openness must be received properly, and a closer friendship would result from it.
I see.
Japanese wouldn’t always become friends because they visit their houses each other.
I think this is similar to that a President of some country visits a house of a Prime Minister of another country, when they don’t always make friends personally.
Would you call it “a courtesy visit”?

Quote:
It's a good idea to limit how they are used. Too much of them and the flow of reading is interrupted with concepts better used in further sentences in a composition.

Yes, I do use that clause when talking to others. You can talk faster than you can write generally, so having longer sentences is not usually a problem. When writing, the focus is on grammatical correctness and a smoother reading experience. In such situations using shorter words is preferable unless the concepts absolutely need longer words or phrases to be fully understood.
I see.
More reader-friendly is better, and shorter is also better. OK!
Koir, thanks!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP