View Single Post
(#52 (permalink))
Old
pacerier (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I would suggest buying a textbook to help you study, that way you can learn things in a systematic order.
ok i'll try to get some jpn language books from the library, hopefully there are good ones i could borrow

Quote:
Pacerier, I would suggest bookmarking Tae Kim's site if you haven't already. Japanese Grammar Guide | Tae Kim's Guide to Learning Japanese
yea Tae Kim's guide is great, i do love to read them. i've came across several questions while reading his guide.

Q1.
an extract from the guide:
ボブ: アリスは学生?
アリス: うん、トムも学生
i was wondering is 学生 required after the も particle in the second line. will this be ok: うん、トムも

Q2.
a quote from the guide: "When you use 「する」 with a noun, the 「を」 particle is optional and you can treat the whole [noun+する] as one verb."

just to check, does this rule apply for all nouns. can テニスをします be written as テニスします?

Q3.
an example conversation from the guide:
ボブ: 学校に行った?
アリス: 行かなかった。
ボブ: 図書館には?
if i edit the third line to be 「図書館は」(taking away the に) is it still proper?

Q4.
similar to the third question, can i change this:
ボブ: どこで食べる?
アリス: イタリアレストランではどう?

to this:
イタリアレストランはどう (without the で)

Q5.
Tae Kim mentioned somewhere that 何で (by what means of) is pronounced as なにで. if i've remembered correctly though, i'd thought that it would be pronounced as なんで. is it true that both pronunciations are acceptable?

Q6.
sorry for asking so many questions, but there's one last thing i would like to clarify. the given polite-negative form of na-adjective in the guide is this: 静かじゃないです. would it seem more natural if we say 静かではありません instead of 静かじゃないです?

========================================

Last edited by pacerier : 03-12-2010 at 09:43 PM.