View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
superabbytcs (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to superabbytcs Send a message via MSN to superabbytcs Send a message via Yahoo to superabbytcs
03-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
A fairly admirable try, but I sense you don't have much experience with japanese. I would translate it as 'Understood. Well then, I'll write in hiragana. Pleased to meet you'.

So, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you're talking to a Japanese pen-pal of some sort and you told them you either can't read Kanji or don't need romaaji. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu is what you'd say when you request a favor of someone usually (there's lots of other ways to say this, but it's not important right now). It's also said the first time you meet someone, so I tend to translate it (in this context) as 'Pleased to meet you'.

Kimasu 来ます(きます) is actually not 'go and come back'. It's just 'come'. 行ってきます is something you would say when you leave your house that literally is like 'I'll go and come back' but can be very loosely translated in english as just a goodbye when you leave the house.

Finally, デカ is probably not police officer specifically. I've got some very minor experience with police terms (thanks to 逆転検事), I'd translate it as 'detective'. Granted, I've never asked for a native's opinion on this, but my dictionary also gives me 'detective' instead of 'police officer'.

Sorry my post is so long, just wanted to explain some stuff.
Yes, you are very right. They asked me (in English) if I understood Romaji, Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji. I told them I could 'understand' all except for Kanji.

So can jyaa be translated as a sort of concluding word or phrase? ex. So, well then, in that case, given the information ect.

どもありがとうございます~!